Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Conception Abbey

Readers,


I recently spent a week visiting Conception Abbey, a Benedictine monastery in northwest Missouri.  While the Greyhound trip there and the Amtrak adventure back were certainly notable highlights, I also found my time within the walls of the monastery to be quite rewarding.  First of all, the grounds of the monastery and its basilica and other buildings were very lovely.


The front of the basilica.

A view from the choir loft


The monks gather five times a day for the Liturgy of the Hours (the official prayer of the Church) in the abbey church.  Their liturgy is rather simple, yet elegant.  As a good Dominican, the hour of Compline holds a special place within my heart, and the monks' celebration of that hour is particularly excellent.

I also spent time each day working with a different monks at various chores.  The first couple of days I worked with Br. Placid (which he was, of course) outside raking leaves and shoveling snow.  I also worked with Br. Anselm in the guest house/retreat center, and Br. Etienne in the admissions office.  

Lastly, I was blessed to have an abundance of time for prayer.  After completing a busy semester here in St. Louis, it was refreshing to have so much time for meditation and reading.  Like being able to spend much time with a close friend after a period of busy-ness (no...not a real word), I was able to rejuvenate my relationship with God.

Overall, I had a terrific time visiting with my Benedictine brothers.  I have returned to my priory in St. Louis, however, recharged in my vocation as Dominican friar.  Our life of study, community, and preaching, a combination which sets us apart from most other orders, is dear to me.  Dominicans are not religious brothers and sisters who study and preach.  Rather, we are studiers and preachers.  Yay Dominicans!

Enjoy the last couple of days of Advent.  For both of the others in this world for whom it is the greatest liturgical season (not to slight Eastertide), step up that penance, prayer, and fasting because Christmas is three days away.  For those who see Advent as a time of cruel torture before Christmas, sit tight, we're almost there.






1 comment:

  1. Friar- I hope you keep up with this Blog, I love to read about your journey. Hope to see you soon! Much love!!!!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete